jueves, 26 de enero de 2012

When I first got to the school at about 9:30 at night, I was the only one there. The whole school was dark. All the other students were on an excursion for the weekend to a different part of the country. There's free wifi in the school, but I didn't know the password so I couldn't email my mom. I didn't want to go to sleep because it was a new place and I was all alone and freaking out a bit. Then I heard the door downstairs be unlocked and I heard people talking. I couldn't tell if they were speaking Spanish or English. I was too tired to talk in Spanish but I wanted to meet people. Eventually I decided to just go downstairs. Turns out, they all spoke English. All together, there was a guy and a girl from Germany, a guy from South Africa, and a guy from Brazil. There were really nice. They invited me to a bar with them. In Uruguay, things don't start until late. If you're going out to a bar, most of the time no one even gets there until at least one in the morning. We went out and we didn't get back to the school until 5:30 in the morning. I slept until noon, then I went to a big street market with the two people from Germany. The market was very interesting. I forgot to bring my camera because I'm a genius, but I'll go again sometime this month. They sold everything. Literally, everything. A lot of fruit and vegetables, but a lot of random things like cell phones, jewelry, clothes. I bought a metal container with a pretty red and white design on the sides. It was like a combinations flea market/farmer's market/garage sale. The food is good and very cheap. I'll make sure I take pictures next time I go. Monday I started classes. It's difficult to follow what the teacher is saying when she's speaking only in Spanish, but I got better quickly at having at least a small idea of what they were talking about. I like the classes because we just kind of go from subject to subject. If someone is eating an orange, we discuss fruit. If I'm talking about being lost or about riding horses, we'll discuss transportation terms and directions. I'm learning a lot and more importantly, I'm understanding a lot. That's just a quick update on what I've been doing, but I'll update more when I have time. Hasta pronto,

Hannah

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario